Monday July 4

Happy Independence Day to all those in the USA! I did hear mention of the 4th on the English news channel this morning. This picture is of the view from the building I work in. It looks like LA traffic and get's just as bad at times. On this particular day it was overcast.
Yesterday I was able to go to church here in Beijing. I know what your thinking! An LDS Church in a Communist Country? Well there is. It's not the usual building type but it is the 4th floor in a large business office building. On arriving inside the building I was confused on where to go, until I noticed a group of "white" people all dressed in their Sunday best waiting for the elevator. I said "this must be the place". The group was from Utah, traveling around China. When arriving at the fourth floor I could hear an organ being played. It began to feel like home. I introduced myself to the Branch President (who is the same as a Bishop in a Ward) , his first counselor, and many of the member's came up to introdcue themselves as well. The chapel was filled with chairs, a podium, sacrament table and the organ. Throughout the fourth floor I could see a library, classroom's designated for certain age groups and leadership offices too. It was better then what we had in Detroit, where one branch met in a Auto worker's Union hall, and the other shared a building with another church. It was a great and refreshing sight to see a setting that was a place I could call home. I think roughly there was 100-120 people there. Families, singles, student's and regular's who have lived in Beijing for years. I couldn't believe how much I had missed Sunday's. There is actually a National's Branch that was starting to meet there that afternoon. The rule that is in place is that you cannot talk to Chinese National's about the LDS meetings, Christianity, or promote the church in any way, but that we could meet freely in the privacy of our own facility. This was another great experience to add to my list, here in Beijing.

3 Comments:
HI JACOB THIS IS GRANDMA DIANE; JUST READ ABOUT YOUR FIRST SUNDAY IN CHURCH IN BEIJING AND WAS REAL INTERESTING READING. AND FELT HAPPY FOR YOU TO BE IN SUCH FAMILIAR SURROUNDINGS FOR AWHILE.
JAKE,
WE HAD A GREAT 4TH OF JULY. MIKE, JAY, TATIANA AND I WENT TO THE "GIANTS" GAME AT 1:00 P.M. THEY LOST BY ONE RUN! BUT WAS A GOOD GAME! THEN MIKE AND I DROVE HOME ON HIGHWAY 1--SENIC ROUTE, AND STOPPED IN SANTA CRUZ FOR DINNER--FOUND A GREAT ITALIAN/PIZZA PLACE! WERE HOME BY 8 AND WATCH TV FIREWORKS WITH ELLIE AND APRIL!! JAY AND TATIANA DROVE JAYS TRUCK AND STAYED IN SFO FOR FIREWORKS! WENT ON A SHIP TO VIEW THE FIREWORKS--HAD A GREAT TIME!
SO GLAD YOU GOT TO CHURCH--ISN'T IT A MIRACLE THAT APRIL CONNECTED YOU TO THE CHURCH THERE? KNOW ITS HARD TO TALK ABOUT RELIGION THERE AND FIND MUCH INFO ABOUT THE CHAPEL AREA! AS FORREST ALWAYS SAYS, "THE LORD WORKS IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS"!
HAPPY JULY 5TH! HA LOVE MOTHER-IN-LAW
Wow Jacob. The pictures are great! Except....I would be eating every day at the nearest McDonald's and your office looks like it's way too high in the building. Hmmmm...no wonder Brian doesn't bother asking me to go overseas with him :) Know you can't wait until April is there and you can tour around. Sweet Ellie will be SO glad to see you again. This has been an experience to remember, no doubt, and will be an incredible addition to your resume. Look for a job here in Oregon! Oh, and Kevin is having trouble accessing your blog so I'm going to try to forward the link to him again. He says it's horribly hot & humid in Fuzhou but he went rafting last weekend with the basketball development team and cooled off. He and Brian are meeting in Hong Kong in a few days. Guess Kevin needs to re-new his work Visa. Oh and I was so happy to hear you found your church meeting place...can just imagine how that familiarity and support was a great comfort. Take care and keep well.
Post a Comment
<< Home