Thursday, June 16, 2005

Market Heaven!

Silk Market! I can't say more, but I will. I traveled into downtown Beijing where I met my fellow classmates that came over on Sunday. I ate sliced lamb that is cooked kind of like fondue. There is a bowl of water mixed with spices. Inside the hollow area of the bowl is where there is coals from a previous fire. The lamb is placed inside where it cooks and then you can dip it in the sesame seed sauce. It was hard to get used to but there was also veggies to go with it. Ok, let me talk about the silk market. Mohamed and I went to it after meeting with the person he would be working with. He was there earlier in the day and bought an Armoni suit for 50 USD. This amounts to 410 RMB. There is anything and everything you want and MORE. I 'm afraid that April won't have enough room in her suitcase. So April start saving your money. They have everything over here. Right now we are waiting for Dr. Wu who is our professor to come and meet us at our rooms. I will write more about my room situation later. For now I have to go and make a phone call. Beijing out!

6 Comments:

At 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey honey! I can't wait to go to China's silk market!! ok, don't worry I am saving every penny, I think I will just bring an empty suitcase with the clothes on my back...ha ha. Sounds like you are having fun! Love you, April

 
At 8:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jake,

Glad to hear that you got there safe and sound. I remember the driving in and around Beijing as being a bit scary too. Especially coming in from the airport. There is so much to see and experience there. I'm glad that you have liked the local cooking so far. I never had a problem finding something that I liked. Well, keep us updated on all of your adventures.

love,
Shauna

 
At 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jacob,

The food sounds pretty good over there. I hope that you have a fun and educational experience over there! Are there any LDS buildings over there? Take care and enjoy the ride!
-Sarah Smith

 
At 8:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES--YES EVEN OF THE FOOD! MOTHER-IN-LAW

 
At 9:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jacob,

Sounds like your in for a ride and life experience of all times. Be safe and enjoy everything. We will keep an eye on April and Ellie here at home along with your in-laws. Looking forward to hearing all about your trip and experiences. Today Jill and I are taking a limo to SF Airport to greet my parents and Shaun as they return from their trip from Ireland. Can't wait to see them and hear all about their trip too.

Know that were thinking of you!
Love, Sandy & Jim

 
At 3:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

NOT SURE IF YOU ARE GETTING MY COMMENTS BUT HERE GOES AGAIN. IS GREAT READING YOUR WEB PAGE AND EVERYTHING GOOD HERE IN EUGENE. GAYE AND JENNY ON WAY HOME AFTER A WEEK HERE AND IN PORTLAND. KYLES GRADUATION NICE BUT RAINY. KEEP THE MENUS COMING! G. DIANE

 

Post a Comment

<< Home